We use Slack here at The Sweet Setup, and it’s really fantastic. It allows use to communicate in a central place without having to use group iMessages. I also love Todoist as a task management system, and with its robust web API, I wanted to figure out a way to turn a starred message in Slack into a task in Todoist. This is incredibly simple to do with Zapier.
Before I get started, I know there are probably countless ways to configure this integration (with automatic due dates, etc). What follows is how I configured it to work for my needs. My overall goal was to star a message and have it appear in my inbox in Todoist to process later.
- Once you sign up for Zapier or log in, you’ll need to add Todoist and Slack as integrations in the system.
- Once they are both added, click Make a Zap.
- Choose Slack as the first app.
- Choose New Starred Message.
- Choose the Slack group you want to add, and if you have multiple teams, make a new zap per Slack group.
- Zapier will run a test to make sure the connection is working, so star a recent Slack message in the group you connected.
- Next, you need to integrate the Todoist section. Log in to your Todoist account, and choose Create Task.
- Follow the onscreen directions to connect your Todoist account.
On this step, in the title, you can add items for Zapier to pull from Slack into the Todoist task. I choose the message text and the Slack permalink. You can get really technical and pre-schedule due dates and other items, but this was more than I needed. I simply wanted something that would trigger me to remember and process the item.
- You can now name the Zap and turn it on. On the free Zapier plan, it will process every 15 minutes. If you need it to process more often, check out the paid plans.
We have more helpful tips right here.
Get Back Hours Per Week
Discover how to improve your workflows and get more focus with this free, in-depth guide to productivity.